Trivializing Rape

Finals are over, thank god. This semester was, to understate it, quite rough. As I was gathering my things from my last exam, I overheard two girls as they walked by:

"I feel like I just got raped in the butthole."

Really? Raped in the butthole? I'm sure I hate topology as much as you, but I'd hardly say a stressful final is on the same level as anal rape.

But hey, I get it. I know you didn't mean literal rape. People often use rape to mean "destroy" or "totally annihilate." As in, "we're totally going to rape the other team." And to be fair, it was a really hard exam.

To use the word so carelessly trivializes sexual assault. Nearly 1 in 5 women will experience rape at some point in their lives. It's not something to take lightly or throw around. It affects people you know and care about and can leave lasting scars, physically and emotionally. It's like throwing around the word "retard." Don't.

Personally, I think the worst part of saying rape carelessly is that you're ignoring all the other aspects of actual assault. Everyone heals differently, but for some victims, it can take years just to feel normal again. You get to walk away from that final. You get to forget all about it. It may be funny to you.

Rape isn't funny.

It's just a word. But there are over a million words to choose from. Here's a bunch of synonyms for "destroy". I know what you were trying to say. Next time, just try to say it differently. Again, my GPA may be a joke, but sexual assault isn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment